Saturday, April 28, 2012

Firefighters, Butterflies & Mints

Playing a game of is this a toy or a tool?

Finn instantly raised his hand and wanted to volunteer
when they asked for one.  Here is showing the class what to do if
you hear your fire alarm beep in the night.  :)  He also wanted
to volunteer to do "Stop, Drop, and Roll" but they wanted
to give another kid a chance.
 
They watched the fireman dress up in his uniform,
then they were able to touch him.  Finn didn't take his
hand off of him the whole time. :)


The exciting part... they get to see and touch the firetruck!


Climbing through the truck! :)

Finn could not WAIT to get to school on Friday.  The firemen came for a visit, with two of their trucks.  Finn was not shy at all.  He was eager to volunteer, touch the fireman, and answer questions.  He told them that we say a prayer every time we see/hear a firetruck.  And he told them he wants to be a fireman when he grows up.  (Well, he wants to be a fireman, drive a combine, be a tractor guy, AND have pigs... to be exact.)

Later when we got home, I was asking him questions about the fireman's visit.  He was really listening!  He even told me to cover your eyes when you stop, drop, and roll.  It was a very informative visit and the fireman did a great job of explaining everything on their level.

May was my month to decorate the preschool bulletin board again.  I dropped off the blank butterflies to Ms. Lisa and the class decorated the butterflies for me.  They used sand, I love the way it turned out.  :)  Finn's is the blue and yellow one on the lower right.

On another note....  Cullen is quite the regular in the nurse's office.  I get so many phone calls home about him bumping his head at recess or gym!  Last month after the nurse called 3 times in one week, she told me that she really enjoys her visits with Cullen and how funny he is.  On Thursday, I was volunteering in the lunchroom and the nurse came to find me, to tell me that Cullen fell off the scooter in gym and bumped his forehead.  She said he was fine and sent him back to class after having him lay with an ice pack on it for 20 min.  Then he came back to her office about 30 min later, complaining of his "brain hurts, and I think if you give me a mint, it will feel better..."  So she gave him a mint and then "Hmm-mm, yes, my brain doesn't hurt anymore.  Thank you."  and back to class he went.  What a stinker!  So then I see him in lunch and ask him about his visit(s) to the nurse.  He said, "Yeah, I'll go back and get a mint when my stomach hurts."  What???  I made it clear that he will not be going back to the nurse unless a teacher tells him to or he is throwing up.  That boy...  Give him an inch he'll take a mile!

No comments: