Saturday, June 27, 2009

writing


Now that Cullen has been spelling his name out loud for several months, I've started working on having him write his name. He's doing pretty well. In fact, last night as I was cooking dinner Cullen went outside on the back stoop to play with chalk. I looked out to find him writing his name all by himself. When he was done, he was clearly very proud and immediately knocked on the door to show me. The above picture is what he did by himself and with nothing to look at to copy. (He wrote his name again below the original.)

The last month he's been noticing words (letters) on advertisements and TV, and he'll say I have a C in my name, or I have a L in my name. So today I'm getting lunch together for the boys, and Cullen says- "Mommy, Finn has a F in his name." I say, yes he does. Then he goes onto tell me he has a I and N in his name. I was taken back and asked him "Can you spell Finn's name? He said sure... and spelled it right! There was nothing in the kitchen with Finn's name on it, I was totally surprised. The only place, that I can think of, that he learned it is above Finn's crib I have his name spelled out.

While I'm on this "writing" note. Some of you may have or will be receiving letters in the mail from Cullen. He really enjoys drawing pictures and putting stickers on the envelopes. He proudly carries the letters to the mailbox to send to everyone, then asks "Did I get any mail today?"

No comments: