Sunday, June 7, 2009

Royal Gorge


Finn loved the carousel! He was squealing & moving his arms.

"Momma, why does the cat have a fish in it's mouth?"

View of the bridge from the aerial tram.

You can see the bridge in the background.

View of the Arkansas River from the bridge
(this doesn't do it justice to how high we were)



Sean by his birth state

me by my birth state

Cullen by his birth state

Finn by his birth state

We went to Canon City Sunday to see the Royal Gorge. It's the world's highest suspension bridge. It was breathtaking. I had been there before years ago, but it was fun to visit as an adult. We had a nice day for it, kind of cool, but REALLY windy! So windy, I was surprised the aerial tram was running... The aerial tram was cool (now, knowing we survived it), but about 100 feet into the ride, I realized that I didn't really like it. You know, about the time that I read that it was built in 1969 and it's the original tram. Then the conductor told us we are on the world's longest single-span aerial tram in the world (whatever that means) and we were hanging from cables 1,178 feet above the Arkansas River. Like I said, it's cool now... and I had the piece of mind knowing if we were going to crash 1,178 feet to our deaths; hey, we are all together as a family....

We ran into a lot of really nice people. The first couple in line ahead of us gave us a left over coupon, then as we entered the park we had to give our zip codes and wouldn't you know, theirs was 66617 (the zip code I grew up with)! Crazy, we talked with them for awhile. Then while waiting with the boys for Sean, a woman made small talk with Cullen. She asked me if she could give Cullen some of the funnel cake she was ordering. When I got back to Sean after changing Finn, they were sitting there eating 1/2 a funnel cake! That nice woman gave Cullen half. :) Sean was pleased that the employees in the gift shop didn't make him pay for the knick-knack he broke... I won't go into the kindness Cullen showed to others today... I'll just say we had a long talk about calling others "big and fat"....

No comments: