Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paczki Day (and thoughts of our duty stations...)


I found out last night that Fat Tuesday is also known as Paczki Day.

"Paczki Day is described by AnnArbor.com as simply "excessive consumption of fat, jelly-filled Polish pastries." It is a popular holiday in Ann Arbor, Mich., as well as American cities with large Polish populations such as Chicago, Buffalo and Detroit.

The word Paczki (pronounced POONCH-key), or pączek, is defined by Dictionary.com as: "A round Polish pastry similar to a doughnut, usually filled with fruit and topped with sugar or icing." Traditionally, Paczki Day originated due to the need to use up lard, sugar and eggs prior to Lent, which begins the day after." (taken from: huffingtonpost)

A day where I can eat a lot of filled doughnuts??? Count me in!! I brought home the strawberry jelly and Bavarian Cream. They are disappearing fast!

Anyway, this got me thinking about the many unique/different foods we've had because of the many moves the Army sends us on.

Upstate New York- I remember the "squeaky cheese" or cheese curds. You know it's real fresh by how much it squeaks on your teeth. :) There is a large Amish community nearby, buggies and all. You can't find brisket up there either, "You are too far North for brisket, all we've got is corned beef." Thousand Island Dressing- it was originally made in the 1,000 Islands. :)

Georgia- Ahhh, I will never forget those juicy peaches! The juice would run down your arm to your elbow. I tell Cullen that I ate a lot of them when I was pregnant with him. I also had boiled peanuts there, not bad. Another thing I loved from Georgia was their Mustard based BBQ sauce!! Delicious!

New Carolina- Where the sweet tea flows like water! Sean loved the sweet tea, I didn't care for it. If you went to a restaurant, you had to ask for regular tea... otherwise it would come out sweet. They had that yummy mustard based BBQ sauce too!

Colorado- The bubbling mineral water in Manitou Springs. Each fountain around town has a different taste to it. All very unique and they claim to have healing powers. You can even buy it on Amazon.com! Colorado is also pretty proud of their Palisade peaches and watermelon, grown on the Western slopes. But I'm jaded because I lived in Georgia...

NW Indiana- The authentic pizza, we love Rocco's they settled here right out of Italy. Got to love the Michigan apples and cherries! We are going to go apple picking this fall, and I can't wait to get my hands on some tart cherries for pies!! And of course these yummy paczki's... :)

I wonder where we'll end up next?


No comments: